POLICIES

GENERAL BOOKING INFORMATION

1.   A booking is not confirmed until the rental agreement is fully completed and signed by the guests, accepted by us, and the required deposit has been received.
2.   A deposit of 25% of the total rental amount (including tax) is due on booking, with the remaining 75% due 60 days prior to arrival. If booking within 60 days of arrival, 100% of the total rental amount is due at time of booking. We have adopted a more flexible payment policy in cases where an applicable COVID-19 order stands - see below.
3.   Cancellations more than 60 days prior to the arrival date will receive a 100% refund. Cancellations less than 60 days prior to the arrival date are non-refundable and will result in forfeiture of all deposits paid. We have adopted more flexible cancellation and refund policies in cases where an applicable COVID-19 order stands - see below.
4.   A US$500 security deposit is required and is due with the final payment of the total rental amount if paid by check, or 14 days prior to the arrival date if paid by credit card.
5.   A cleaning fee is charged per stay of US$300 for two-bedroom units, or US$250 for one-bedroom units. These fees reflect enhanced cleaning required due to COVID-19.
6.   A nightly extra guest fee of US$20 per person will be charged for over 4 persons staying in the two-bedroom units.
7.   Three- and four-night stays are welcome but will be considered only if there are three or four days of availability between other bookings. We encourage and take preference to stays of five or more nights and stays that do not leave gaps in our calendar.
8.   This booking platform may limit the dates of your reservation due to minimum night requirements or creating gaps in our calendar. Please contact us with special requests or if you have any difficulties with the dates of your booking.
9.   You can book up to 720 days in advance of your stay. Please contact us if you wish to book further out.
10.   All fees are subject to 14.42% Hawaiian tax. Our Hawaii Tax IDs are TA-121-034-1376-01 and GE-121-034-1376-01.
11.   All credit card payments directly with us are subject to a 3% processing fee. We also accept personal checks, money orders, and certified checks if you would like to avoid this fee. You can also book through Vrbo, but be mindful that they will charge you their traveller service fee.

BOOKING POLICIES

A copy of our Booking Policies and Summary House Rules is available at the preceding link.

COVID-19 PAYMENT & CANCELLATION POLICIES

We have implemented more flexible policies as a result of COVID-19. In summary, should an applicable government COVID-19 order be in place at the 60-day cancellation deadline, we will extend the cancellation deadline, and all related payments due, to 30 days from the arrival date. This will allow you to cancel your booking and receive a 100% refund up to 30 days prior to your stay. We will further offer a future travel credit for cancellations within 30 days of the arrival date if an applicable government COVID-19 order is in effect on the arrival date. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions of the Rental Agreement for complete details on cancellations, refunds, and modifications. We hope this additional flexibility gives our guests more peace of mind in making a booking.